Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Community

2 things really have me thinking today - It's kind of strange how personal our blogs are, and how lucky we are to be allowed into another person's life. Even though we try (for safety's sake) to keep most of the personal details out of our blogs, we still create this little universe where we, and those who read us, and those we read live.
For example:
Today, I'm doing my blog rounds, when I go over to Knit Sisters for my usual visit. Only to find that Ellen's and Alex's cat had a cat vs. car accident over the weekend. I cried over a cat that I didn't really know who belonged to people that I don't really know, but who's death I felt deeply. I'm still so sad for Ellen, it's horrible to lose a family member, and anyone who says "it's only a cat" completely doesn't understand.
Then, once recovered from that, I go on my daily visit to the Yarn Harlot who has attracted a nasty troll who feels it important to prove how isolated and idiotic he/she is by correcting Ms. Harlot's spelling, which isn't misspelling at all, but Canadian variations on a common language, which is dynamic and changing all the time. All one would need to do to prove this is to look back at newspaper articles from the late 1800's to see that what we would consider misspellings were common spellings of words. One I was recently was "As they passed threw town. . . . " - which completely "threw" me for a loop until I remembered my first (and probably best-learned) English lesson - the English language is changing all the time. I am constantly reminding myself of this when I see newspaper articles written today by someone who clearly needs to repeat English 101, or some of the things they do on TV these days.
OK, I'll stop the rant now - there is no knitting content today, as I've been pouting and not knitting (I know, it's weird) for the last couple of days.

2 comments:

knitseashore said...

I know exactly what you mean by community. I am ever more thankful for all the friends I've met and how we support each other in a harsh world. I too have cried over others' pets and loved ones. Sometimes I think the blog gets the "judge by appearance" thing out of the way, so we can better relate to each other as human beings.

I hope you are feeling better and want to get back to knitting soon. Sometimes you do just have to get away from it. :)

Anonymous said...

Deb, this shows how behind I am, but I just want to say how much I appreciate what you said about our cat here.

Even almost two months later, it means a lot to me that you care.