Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Oh, yeah! I remember now!!

I remember what I don't like about knitting socks. It's not the heel flap, it's not even turning the heel. It's those damned instep decreases!!! I'm knitting the first pair of socks from "Not Just Socks", and I swear, I had to rip the damned instep out twice before I overcame the ADD and got the decreases right even on both sides. So, now I'm doing the boring part - knitting the foot. The only thing that makes this bearable is that it heralds the end. Then I have to do another one.
Ok, onto more worrying things. As all both of you know, I've been knitting a really long time. I've never designed (at least outright) anything. I've always "adapted" patterns. There's just something in me that WILL NOT allow me to follow a pattern from start to finish exactly. From buying the exact yarn to using the exact needles to finishing exactly as it says. I've done that so seldom, that it stands out in my mind as something "new and different."
BUT, when it comes to actual taking-the-string-and-making something designing, I'm like the buzzard in the old Bugs Bunny cartoon: "Nope, nope, not gonna do it, can't do it, duh, nope, nope......"
Until now.
Let me start this particular part of the insanity by saying that I love entrelac. My first introduction to it was when I was in high school. "Woman's Day" or "Family Circle" or one of those "ladies' magazines" had a pattern in it for a dirndl skirt. Unfortunately, I lost interest before I finished it, and lost the magazine with the pattern in it.
So, lately, I've been doing the entrelac socks from "Knitter's Magazine", and wondering if I could make an entrelac skirt that I'd wear, and that would look way cool ("way cool" being a user-defined term). Then, I looked in one of my (many, many) knitting bags and found an old project. It's a sweater made with mitred squares, and lots and lots of colors. I have a bunch of partially used skeins of yarn in lavendars, pinks, purples & scarlets. So, my mind has been spending all my sleeping hours working on this (unbeknownst to me).
This morning, on the drive to work, my mind went:
TA DA!!!!!
And presented me with an almost complete design for an entrelac skirt.
From the waist band, to the first row of triangles, to increasing both needle size and block size until the skirt is the right width/length.
Now, most people would be scared, or at the very least, startled by their very own mind springing something like this on them in the middle of traffic. But not me. You see, my mind can't keep a secret. And, one or two of the other little inhabitants in my head sort of let it slip that I was trying to work out how to do the waistband. "Waistband?" I asked voice #2. "What waistband?"
"Oh, nevermind, just think about it."
"Well, ok. I guess it would depend on the gauge, but figure about 7 or 8 stitches per inch, measure your waist (HORRORS!!!!), multiply times 8 (to be safe), cast on that number, and knit in st st for 1 inch. Then, purl on the knit side, then go back to st st for another inch. How's that?" That's when the TA DA!!!!! happened!!!
So, I'm seriously trying to remember what I did with the graph paper I had years ago, what size and how many circular needles I have, and what the color combinations are going to be.
Stay tuned to this space - something just might happen.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Adapting a pattern IS design. You've already done it. You'll be fine. :)